Klook.com

Thursday, September 1, 2022

,

Tweet about Big Mouth that is under fire in Thailand

 

I'm not sure but does this Korean show, Big Mouth, have any intentions to discriminate Thailand? I'm not sure, though. Because I don't know whether the translation is accurate or not. 'Did your mom have Tom Yung Goong after giving birth to a psychopath like you?' What does that mean? Can someone who is fluent in Korean interpret this?

I think the tweet is questioning whether that dialogue is racist or not. 

There are opinions that state they're using 'Tom Yung Goong' and 'Ox Blood Soup' as examples because both of them are spicy.

There are also people who question whether they really have to use Thai food in that dialogue. Even if they didn't mean to be racist, it's really random and offensive.

"Did your mom have seaweed soup after giving birth to you? I'm asking because I'm really curious about what she ate after giving birth to a psychopath like you. Tom Yung Koong? Or something like Ox Blood Soup?"

theqoo

-Regardless of the fact whether it's racist or not, it's really bad dialogue. I think it's very old-fashioned to use somebody's parents to attack them. 

-I can totally understand why it's offensive. Why bring up Tom Yung Goong out of the blue? It's not even the food that everybody in our country knows. 

-I don't think they meant to be racist, but I can totally understand why they find it offensive.

-If I were Thai, I'd be offended too...

-Just imagine there's a show which line goes, "Did your mom have Kimchi Stew after giving birth to a psychopath like you?"

-Why do they have to mention food from another country in the dialogue? It's not even funny or meaningful...

-I can understand why they find it offensive. I think they should edit the dialogue. 

-I don't understand why people keep demanding them to apologize. I don't think they meant to be racist. They just need to be more careful in the future.

-I understand the writer's point, but if I were from Thailand, I'd be really offended...

-Even if they didn't mean to be racist, it's f*cking offensive. I think they should apologize. 

trazy.com